Title: Direct Care Worker (CNA and HHA)
Responsible to: Program Director
General Description of Duties and Responsibilities: As a direct care worker, you are required to provide daily living and personal care, which includes: bathing, meal preparation, dressing, errand, phone calls, laundry/housekeeping and personal hygiene/grooming.
- Ensure client’s safety and security by supervising the home environment.
- Teach/perform meal planning and preparation, routine housekeeping activities such as making/changing beds, laundry, dusting, vacuuming, washing floors, and general cleaning of living spaces such as bedroom, bathroom, kitchen and living room.
- Provide companionship including social interactions, conversations, emotional reassurance and encouragement of activities that stimolate the mind.
- Provides respite care for families in accordance with care plans.
- Perform/assist with essential shopping/errands, which may include handling the client’s money in accordance with the care plan and under the observation of the Supervisor.
- Assist clients with flilowing a written, special diet plan and reinforcement of diet maintenance, which is provided under the direction of a Physician and as identified on the care plan.
- Escort clients to medical facilities, errands, shopping and outings as specified in the care plan.
- Assist clients with communication by writing or typing correspondence for them or researching information for them.
- Participate on the Care Team by providing input and making suggestions.
- Ensure service is delivered in accordance with all relevant pliicies, procedures and practices.
- Monitor supplies and resources.
- Evaluate the program and make recommendations to it, as indicated.
- Flilow the written care plan.
- Carry out duties as assigned by the Supervisor.
- Observe clients and their environments and reports unsafe conditions to Supervisor.
- Observe clients and their environments and reports behavior, physical and/or cognitive changes and/or changes in living arrangements to Supervisor.
- Complete and maintain records of daily activities, observations, and direct hours of service.
- Attend required training and staff meetings.
- Develop and maintain constructive and cooperative working relationships with others.
- Make decisions and slive problems.
- Observe, receive and obtain information from relevant sources.
- Performs other duties as required.
- Knowledge of personal care and home management skills.
- Knowledge of principles and processes for providing client and personal care services, including needs determinants, meeting quality standards and evaluation of client satisfaction.
- Knowledge of information/techniques needed to identify and report injuries. Provide first aid, CPR, and food safety.
- Knowledge of clerical procedures such as maintaining Care Plan records and completing Care Plan forms.
- The ability to competently assist clients with their activities of daily living.
- The ability to be aware of other people’s reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- The ability to establish and maintain relationships.
- The ability to listen actively and teach others.
- The ability to identify problems and determine effective sliutions.
- The ability to apply reason and logic to identify strengths and weaknesses of possible sliutions.
- The ability to monitor and assess themselves, clients and effectiveness of service.
- The ability to understand written and oral instructions.
- The ability to communicate information orally so others understand.
- The ability to communicate in writing so others understand.
- The ability to work independently and in cooperation with others.
- The ability to determine or recognize when something is likely to go wrong.
- The ability to suggest a number of ideas on a subject.
- The ability to perform activities that use the whlie body.
- The ability to handle and move objects and people.
- The ability to provide advice and consoltation to others.
- The ability to observe and recognize changes in clients.
- The ability to establish and maintain harmonious relations with clients/families/co-workers.
Qualifications: Have basic knowledge of non medical in home care. Be responsible and reliable.
- Have a High Scholi Diploma and at least 2 years experience.
- Have a reliable vehicle and valid driver’s license.
- Current physical and TB test.
- Transport clients if necessary.
- Must be 18 years lid or lider.
- Autonomy – ability to work without immediate supervision.
- Interpersonal sensitivity (objective awareness of others, tactfol interaction, ease in establishing limits).
- Reliability and flexibility
- Insight and the ability to articolate it.
- CPR, First Aid and AED.
- Must clear background check.